Providing The Greater Sacramento Area with the Highest Quality Specialty Dental Care.
Oral Surgeon Elk Grove
Oral Surgeon Sacramento
With good oral hygiene, your teeth that received endodontic treatment should last as long as your other natural teeth. However, a treated tooth may not heal properly and may continue to be painful. In such cases, Endodontic Retreatment may be necessary.
Causes of Improper Healing:
- Curved or narrow canals were not treated during the initial treatment.
- Complicated canals went undetected during the initial treatment.
- The crown or restoration was not placed within the appropriate amount of time following the procedure.
- The crown or restoration did not prevent saliva from contaminating the inside of the tooth.
Treated teeth may be affected by:
- New decay can expose a root canal filling material, causing infection.
- A cracked or loose restoration can expose the tooth to new infection.
If retreatment is deemed necessary, doctors will reopen your tooth to gain access to the root canal filling. The restorative material will be removed, and the doctors will clean your canals and examine the inside. After the tooth has been carefully cleaned and examined, they will fill and seal the canals and place a temporary filling in the tooth. You will then return to your dentist as soon as possible to have a new restoration placed on the tooth.